About our Study Programs
Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, the founder of the New Kadampa Tradition, has designed 3 unique Study Programs:
~General Program (GP)
~Foundation Program (FP)
~Teacher Training Program (TTP)
These in-depth study programs offered at Kadampa Meditation Centre Winnipeg consist of systematic study and practise of Kadampa Buddhism and are especially suited to people of this modern world.
Read a transcript of a talk given by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso on the benefits of the Foundation & Teacher Training Programs by clicking here.
General Program (GP)
The General Program (GP) is open to everyone regardless of previous experience or background. These classes provide a basic introduction to meditation and Buddha’s teachings that are suitable for beginners. The purpose of these classes is to help people gain a personal experience of inner peace, overcome daily problems, and find real lasting happiness from within.
The GP includes all our drop-in classes, courses and some retreats.
Foundation Program (FP)
The Foundation Program (FP) is designed for people who wish to deepen their understanding and experience of Kadampa Buddhism through a systematic study of essential Buddhist commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso.
We are currently studying the New Eight Steps to Happiness on Mondays at 6:30-8:30pm. You are welcome to join this study program at any time and not have to wait for the beginning of the book.
Please note that Foundation Program classes are not drop-in classes; enrollment is required. You will receive access to mp3 recordings to help personal study and if you miss a class or live too far away to attend regularly. To sign up for the program please email email@example.com for more information.
The program comprises the following five subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
1. The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Lamrim), based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
3. The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom
4. Shantideva’s Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
5. Types of Mind (Lorig), based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind
Teacher Training Program (TTP)
The Teacher Training Program (TTP) provides a more extensive presentation of particular subjects of Kadampa Buddhism for those who want to deepen their knowledge and experience of Buddhism and to train as qualified New Kadampa Tradition teachers. This committed study program covers 12 of Geshe Kelsang Gyatso’s books on Sutra & Tantra, and requires a series of meditation retreats. TTP classes are not drop-in classes; enrollment is required. Highest Yoga Tantra empowerments are required to study certain texts on this program. Kadampa Meditation Centre Winnipeg has not yet begun a TTP.
The program comprises the above five topics in the Foundation Program as well as the following topics below based on Buddha’s Sutra and Tantra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
6. Chandrakirti’s Guide to the Middle Way, based on the commentary Ocean of Nectar
7. Vajrayana Mahamudra, based on the commentary Clear Light of Bliss
8. The Bodhisattva’s Moral Discipline, based on the commentary The Bodhisattva Vow
10. Vajrayogini Tantra, based on the commentary The New Guide to Dakini Land
11. Grounds and Paths of Secret Mantra, based on the commentary Tantric Grounds and Paths
12. The Practice of Heruka Body Mandala, based on the commentary Essence of Vajrayana