Sunday Morning In-Depth Study Program Class
What is an In-depth Study Program?
The in-depth study program, The Foundation Program (FP) consists of systematic study and practise of Kadampa Buddhism and are especially suited to people of this modern world. All books studied are from the essential Buddhist commentaries by Tibetan Buddhist Meditation Master, Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso Rinpoche.
Each weekly class consists of:
- 20 min preparatory prayers (in English),
- 20 min guided meditation
- 45 mins oral transmission and commentary by a highly qualified Teacher
- 20 mins paired discussion
- 15 min conclusion/dedication prayers.
- Every fourth class consists of a group discussion, allowing all participants to gain a deeper understanding of the section studied.
- You will receive free access to mp3 recordings to help personal study and/or if you miss a class or live too far away to attend regularly.
The program comprises the following five subjects, based on Buddha’s Sutra teachings and the corresponding commentaries by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso:
1. The Stages of the Path to Enlightenment (Lamrim), based on the commentary Joyful Path of Good Fortune
3. The Heart Sutra, based on the commentary The New Heart of Wisdom
4. Shantideva’s Guide to the Bodhisattva’s Way of Life, based on the commentary Meaningful to Behold
5. Types of Mind (Lorig), based on the commentary How to Understand the Mind
Read a transcript of a talk given by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso on the benefits of the Foundation & Teacher Training Programs by clicking here.
Who is the Teacher?
Gen Kelsang Rigden is the Resident Teacher of Kadampa Meditation Centre Winnipeg. Gen Rigden, ordained in 2004 by Venerable Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, has been studying and teaching Modern Kadampa Buddhism internationally for over 16 years. She is known for her warm-hearted disposition and presents the teachings in a clear and accessible way.
What book is currently being studied?
We are currently studying The New Eight Steps to Happiness. This immensely practical book charts a complete path of spiritual development. As a commentary to one of Buddhism’s best-loved and most enduring teachings, Eight Verses of Training the Mind by the great Tibetan Bodhisattva Langri Tangpa, it explains how to transform every moment of our life into a step on the path to inner peace, and in particular how to transform all of life’s difficulties into truly liberating experiences.
How much does the program cost and how can I join?
The cost is $70 per month with a commitment of 6 months. See membership details.
Please note that Foundation Program classes are not drop-in classes; enrollment is required. You are welcome to join this new study program at any time. To sign up for the program please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Correspondence is available!
Do you live too far away to attend classes regularly? You can apply for correspondence and receive MP3 Downloads for each class. Please contact email@example.com for more information and sign up requirements.